Monday, September 05, 2005

 

Tripping

I've got three things working against me in this post about my road trip:
1.) I'm not one of those people that thinks to carry around a camera everywhere to take interesting pictures.
2.) Road trip stories are only good when they involve going with other people. Since I can pretty much do whatever I feel like, there's no conflict. Conflict is a major part of good storytelling.
3.) I'm not very good at vacation.

So I'll just post some photos I have with a few comments.

The first day I drove to Springfield, Illinois.


Thanks to Motel 6 and Hardee's, I was able to keep my budget for the night at under $40.



I saw some fire so I took a picture.



A bridge too far.



Working on vacation sucks. The joke's on them, though, as I wasn't very productive. I had my days free since the class was at night, but I mainly sat in my hotel room and read and took naps when I wasn't working. This doesn't make for good vacation stories, but it makes a nice vacation. Plus, it was too dang hot out. I was reading Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott.



This is the shop where I took the guitar finishing class. There was only one other person in the class, so it was basically the three of us sitting around that workbench learning stuff. We weren't allowed to take pictures for security reasons, this is lifted from their website.




After Chicago, I went to Dover, Ohio to visit some friends. This is me and my fan club in Ohio. I'm a gentle giant.



This is my sweet ride parked in front of one of the finer Motel 6's at which I've ever stayed. It's plain to see that I enjoy the finer things in life. This was in Missouri on the way home from Ohio.



This photo would be much funnier if I would have gotten the camera out in time to get the Motel 6 that was right before the Hotel 7. My guess is that the Hotel 7 is an empty shell of a building and is only there for joking purposes.

You can see why it took me two months to get this posted. [cough]

Comments:
dude.... I think I'm trippin' just reading 'bout your vacation... didja score a lotta hot chicks? How about at that fire? dude, thats hot. toldja i'm trippin'...
 
That's good stuff, right there. I was getting worried for a bit, you hadn't posted in over a month and I was thinking that maybe you forgot this page existed.

The crazy thing about the picture of you in Dover is that those woman are all your age. Man, you ARE a giant!

That "Hotel 7" in between the Motel 6 and Super 8 is brilliant. I've never seen anything like that.

You're right about vacations, though. When you're on your own, there's no conflict, nobody's telling you what to do, so it's essentially better. That being said, you miss out on the drudgery and anguish that make an exciting story.

Did the hurricane affect anything near you? I was concerned.
 
No, last Monday was a bright sunny day here in Northwest Arkansas. We're seeing some evacuees here in town and in the area. There's a Baptist camp thing here in town that they've offered to people that have evacuated. There's a military base about an hour and a half away and I think they were expecting 4000 people or something. I've been glued to the news for a week now.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in those Hotel 7 meetings as it was being planned and built. "I can't believe noone has thought of this before. This is going to be HILARIOUS!"

Oh crap, they've already got Katrina remix songs. Leave it to Christian radio. I gotta change my radio alarm clock. This is the second one I've heard, someone else had one on Tuesday or Wednesday. Yikes.
 
Oh, is that where they play something like "Proud to be an American", and pepper it with encouraging sound bites from survivors and law enforcement?

That's awful. Really, it is.

Sometimes, in times of crisis, you can either embrace or turn away from religion. When they pull a stunt like "disaster mixes" (see 9/11), everyone just gets sick.

Hotel 7, on the other hand...man.
 
Yeah. The disaster remix trend started back in the very early 90's during Operation Desert Storm. You may be a bit young to remember it, but they used the Styx song "Show Me the Way." It's a cheap way to get airplay. Christian radio was never really about Jesus or the gospel anyway, at least not lately. Churches on the other hand have been stepping up, as have a lot of other people, which is encouraging.

Did you read about Sean Penn's effort? He brought a small boat to go rescue people. As soon as it got in the water, it started to sink because it had a hole, and the motor wouldn't start. People noted that he wasn't going to have room in the boat for hardly anyone else anyway with his entourage, that including his photographer. I was about to give him props at least for good intentions till I heard about the photographer. I guess he did end up pulling a couple people out, so that's good I guess.

Hotel 7 will save us all, I can feel it. It combines the unstoppable American work ethic of the Motel 6 with the high-minded social graces of the Super 8.
 
I saw the Sean Penn thing this morning, and was conflicted because I normally dislike him.

Then I heard about the photographer, and it all made sense again. I STILL don't like him. At least he tried though, I suppose.

Christian radio is about Jesus as much as country radio is about actual country music. What a poorly constructed sentence.
 
Hey, I love Christian radio... or at least I'm paid to love it. ...I think. Ok, scratch that.
But this here post isn't going to be about "Christian" radio, nor Hotel 7, nor Sean Penn, nor guitar building or road trips. No sir. I just wanted to give props on the Anne Lamont / Traveling Mercies read. Any conversion story that includes the F-word gets 5 stars in my book. Cheers, Jahn. (p.s. Her follow up, "Plan B", was a bit tiresome though.. too much Bush bashing. Though I'm not above a bit of that myself).
 
I know better than to bag on everyone involved in CCM, especially the ones that introduce me to Jurassic 5 and also play the accordion. It's all the "positivity" on radio that bugs me.

On an unrelated note: I just bought an old Wurlitzer electric piano on eBay. I can't play keys at all, I just like to be around cool instruments.

Mark, your brother-in-law's voice sounds spookily like your father-in-law, in a good way.

Still not done with Traveling Mercies. I like the idea of reading, but I don't do it very often. I'm halfway through about half a dozen books.
 
I should be clear. Christian radio truly does SUCK. There's nothing quite like cultural ignorance and the denial of reality being broadcast to the public and calling it "relevant" at the same time. Genius. Christian radio should bug you. Oneday, xtians will realize that they've done a great disservice to the world.

Now where was I... oh yes. Ha ha! Yes, my brother-in-law does sound a good bit like his dad. Sam's record release party is tonight and it will be a good-time free for all. Lot's o guests playing like Fleming & John, John Davis, Mat Slocum, CP. Should be fun.
 
Is that gonna be an Astronaut Pushers gig? I like what I've heard on MySpace. I dig Leigh Nash's solo stuff so far, too.
 
Actually, it's for his solo record. Have you heard it yet?

http://www.myspace.com/samashworth
 
I've heard the sampler song on the latest Paste sampler, and a bit on MySpace. I like it. All those other guys are in the Astronaut Pushers, though, right?
 
Matt S, John Davis, Lindsey Jamison and Sam are the Pushers. And push, they shall.
 
Yeah, I made it so you had to be a registered blogger.com user to post... I was getting spam in the comments section. Or blam as the cool people call it these days.
 
87@/\/\!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?