Monday, September 26, 2005

 

ROCK CONCERT - Sufjan and Wilco


"But I want to go to the Rock Concert!"

Or something like that. Joy-Z will have to correct me if I'm wrong on that quote.

Last week, I was able to go to two rock shows in a row. Sufjan Stevens played on Wednesday in Lawrence, KS at The Bottleneck. And then Wilco played at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa.

The following anecdote will probably only seem funny to me, but I'm going to type it anyway. We all know I've run out of things to write about anyway.


I rode to the concert with my friends Casey, Traci, and Vance. Casey and Traci were in the front seat and Vance and I were in the backseat, I was riding on the passenger side. About forty minutes outside of Lawrence, traffic slowed to a crawl for some reason. After a while, three fellows got out of an SUV a couple cars ahead and walked off the interstate down a hill to some trees where they could relieve themselves. Traffic started moving a bit, so by the time they were done, their car had moved up quite a ways. They started walking, then jogging back to their car. As they jogged by our car, I rolled down my window and stuck my finger (index) into the air and started yelling "Woo hoo! Number one! Woo woo, Number One!" The first two guys looked confused and maybe a little nervous, but I think the last guy caught on.

We had dinner at a nice brew pub in downtown Lawrence, which turned out to be a pretty neat town. I left my fellow travelers a little early at dinner so I could be sure to catch Liz Janes, who was opening for Sufjan Stevens. I had seen her open for Sufjan last summer, along with the amazing Joanna Newsom, in San Diego. She started off accompanying herself with a ukulele, and then gradually her band joined her on stage. Sufjan was her drummer, and the rest of the band was made of other "Illinoisemakers," Sufjan's band.


Not from the show I attended...

So Sufjan Stevens and the Illinoisemakers came out all pumped up and cheering, dressed as an Illinois cheerleader/pep squad. The opening song was the 50 States song, with the chorus "It's part of the act, the 50 states, pack up your bags, it's never too late" and they mention every state and say a little phrase about it. Everyone laughed when he sang, "... go to Nebraska, there's nothing to do." This song can be heard on this concert recording from Toronto. They would often do coreographed cheers between songs, which was very fun and it kind of broke the pretension found at many indie-minded shows. The people that make up his band are extremely versatile, and they were constantly switching around instruments. At one point, I noticed the banjo player playing banjo at the beginning of a song, then picking up a trombone to play a horn part, then playing banjo again.



Almost all of the material was from his newest album, "Come On! Feel The Illinoise!" He played only one song from Seven Swans and for an encore he came back out by himself and played the song Romulus from the Michigan album, and the crowd was hushed. That's probably my favorite Sufjan song ever, so that was a treat for me.

If you're not familiar with Sufjan's stuff, Illinois is his second effort in the 50 States Project, which entails recording an album for each state. his first state project was Greetings From Michigan, which is still probably my favorite of his albums.

I have a feeling there would have been a longer set and more encore songs, but this was by far the hottest concert I've ever attended. It was crazy, and we were even standing in the back where it wasn't quite as crowded. It was a sold out show, so I know they were packed to capacity, but there must have been something wrong with the AC or something.

At the show I acquired what is likely to be a rare Superman edition of the vinyl LP version of Illinois. They had covered Superman with a balloon sticker. Earlier this summer they almost had a recall of the CDs because they hadn't licensed the image of Superman with DC comics, so all the newly pressed ones have that image removed.

We rolled back into Siloam at about 4:30am. Luckily, I had the day off from work, so I got a decent amount of sleep before I got up and prepared to head to Tulsa for the Wilco show Thursday night.

I had yummy homemade pizza with my friends Stephen and Joy-Z in Tulsa, and then we headed out to Cain's Ballroom.



Cain's is my favorite place to see a show these days. A few years ago they renovated it back to it's original state as a western swing joint, "Home of Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys." Jeff Tweedy complimented it several times during the show.



I don't have a whole lot to say about Wilco, except that they are one of the tightest bands I have ever seen, and it's amazing how they reinvent their songs in a live setting. They leaned pretty heavily on material from A Ghost is Born though they played a wide variety of material, including a couple tunes from the Woody Guthrie Mermaid Ave tribute albums. They played two long encores, and closed with a cover of Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released."

So that was my Rock Concert excitement, hopefully that was sufficiently coherent.

Comments:
Sounds like you had a good time. I'm going to listen to Illinoise today at work specifically because of this post. It seems like you get better concerts than we do in Wisconsin, for some reason nobody wants to come up here in the winter.

I just watched a really cool special about Cain's on the Travel Channel. It's totally haunted. Look into it, it's a really neat story.
 
We don't get any good shows locally. Occasionally someone good will come through Fayetteville, which is only about 40min away. Otherwise, Lawrence is about 4.5 hrs drive, Tulsa is about 1.25hrs, OKC is 3.5hrs, Little Rock is 3.5hrs.

Hope you like the Sufjan album, it can be a little hard to take if you're not familar with him, just because it's so long. Love that album, though, I can't get tired of it.
 
So Jahnny, have you any love in your heart for The Polyphonic Spree? I think the picture of Jan Brady and Surf-john's concert review together in one blog made me wonder this question to myself in my mind. Hate them or love them (TPS), they sure makes one want to drink the Kool-Aid, each for a very different reason. (Me heart TPS.)

Also, I would like to go on record and say that I'd trade the entire Nashville concert scene for a good, blistering week of Wisconsin winter anyday.

I saw Coldplay a week ago. It was like a kiss on the lips. A kiss from who is the real question.
 
I think I like the idea of The Polyphonic Spree more than I like the actual Polyphonic Spree. I have one album and I enjoyed it, but just haven't listened to it that much. I have to admit to some bias since a friend told me he saw the lead TPS guy walking around the press area at a festival, in full robe costume long after they played basically wandering around hoping someone would interview him. Or maybe he was just high.

I would enjoy a Coldplay show I think, even without the kissing.

Since you were a sound man in a past life, CC, you'd probably appreciate that a Wilco show was the best sounding rock concert I've ever been to in my life, just as far as mix and clarity. The Tulsa show sounded great, but it was really distinctly noticable a couple months ago in OKC. Everything sounded perfect, vocals were crystal clear. It was especially impressive to me because every other band I'd seen at that venue sounded really really awful and muddy, I had thought it was just the room.

Except, I guess, for the Bride show at the Wherehouse in Bartlesville OK in about 1992, that was really the very best sounding show ever.
 
Nickel Creek in November. It's the semester of great concerts. The only way to improve it would be a visit from TMBG.
 
Funny you should mention the mix. When I was writing about Coldplay, I was actually thinking of their mix as well. A somewhat odd affair, mix-wise, because it sounded almost identical to their record, and frankly, I would never think to mix a show like that. Dense low end without much separation, noticeably absent 2-4k range (except for vocals) but a nice distinct top end. I have come to the conclusion that that must be a British sound thing. I guess I’m of the old mix school, witnessed by that super awesome show in Bartlesville. Actually, I don’t remember that show very well. I do remember that we stayed in a 4 star hotel that night (which never happened to Bride), met Wynton Marsalis in the elevator and I stole the hotel bath towels the next morning. (true story) As I recall, my very best mix ever was in Tampa, FL and my absolute worst mix was in Sioux Falls, SD. These things stick with you. I would love to check out a Wilco show as, even though I’m retired, I still love a perfect mix. I think the most perfect mix I’ve ever heard was the BoDeans back in the early nineties. When I heard that sound, I knew my days behind a console were numbered. Am I rambling here? Maybe I need my own blog or something. Cheers John!
 
You do need a blog, I've been saying that for a long time. You could have Diary of a mid-80's Richman Gordman Electronics Salesman. Then you could tell stories about the deaf guy that tried to "return" things he didn't buy there. Or was that Dave Stephens? All I remember is Dave imitating the guy saying "You'll be sorry!" but I thought he was relaying what happened to you. Maybe I'm mixing up Omaha stories.

Wasn't that Bartlesville show one where there was some sort of problem with a crossover or something and you saved the day by using the monitors blah blah in place of the so and so. Or maybe you were talking about another show.

So many rock concerts this semester for the mid-south. Headphones/Minus the Bear on Oct 8, Iron&Wine Oct 28, and Nickel Creek Nov 6. Now everyone will know when to rob my house.
 
You'll like Minus the Bear. You'll dance, mark my words. You may not want to, but you will. That shoegazer stuff is so 1995.

I'm off to Minneapolis to see the almighty Arcade Fire on Thursday, so I may have to put up a show review of my own.

Someone does an impression of a deaf guy? Have you done it in front of the guy, to see if...never mind.

Reminds me of a joke.

Why couldn't Hellen Keller drive?

Because she was a woman!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?