Friday, July 29, 2005

 

The Listener

Nope, this isn't my road trip post. I haven't felt inspired to write that one yet. Actually, I'm just building up the anticipation. What's that one showbiz motto? "Always leave them wanting something else." That sounds about right.

In the meantime, if you enjoy the Raps Music and the Hip-Hops, check out some tracks by The Listener, his new album Ozark Empire got a lot of airtime on my road trip. You can listen to some tracks here. In particular I enjoy "When No One Else Will Be Your Friend I Will Do the Job."

My favorite song title on the album is "I've Been Waiting For This Moment For All My Life, Hold On" and I've been trying to drop that sentence into everyday conversation as much as possible. That's gotta be the first time a rapper has referenced Phil Collins.

Comments:
The best hip-hop "diss" I've ever heard comes to us courtesy of the 2 Skinnee J's track "Horns of Destruction":

"'Cause you're an original, like Psycho starring Vince Vaughn."
 
That's good stuff. It makes fun of three things at once.
 
I need to start a hip-hop outfit. When I was in middle school, I exclusively wrote rap songs. Honestly.

"Let's all be happy, and practice good posture."
 
I'd like to hear your middle school raps. Middle school is a hard knock life.
 
Yeah, I think the same thing, about everything.
 
Yeah, I had this gangsta' rap moniker and everything ("Hi-Rize"). I wrote about growing up on the streets of East St. Louis or something. It was pretty funny, until you realized that I wasn't in on the joke.

The best recent rhyme I've heard comes to us from Grand Buffet, and the track, "Oh My God, You're Weird":

"If you look close, then you'll notice no tan lines/for the next 4 bars, I'm going to say it with hand signs."

(silence for the next 4 bars)
 
Oh, I just remembered that Eminem had referenced Phil Collins in his song, "Stan". Here's a transcript. I copied and pasted, so I apologize if it's a bit garbled.

(You know that song by Phil Collins, from "In the Air Tonight"? About that guy who could have saved that other guy from drowning, but didn't? Then Phil saw it all, then at his show he found him?
That's kinda how this is; You could have rescued me from drowning.)

There you go.
 
Dang it. Next thing you know, rappers will be sampling The Police.
 
Yeah, and Sting will actually come out on stage and perform with them. What a crummy future.
 
This "brave new world" you speak of is a scary proposition. Let's hope it never comes to that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?