Friday, August 27, 2004

 

Best Job I Ever Had

I've been unemployed now for a few months, and it's great. When I continue the search to find something that I really want To Do For a Living, it causes me to reflect back on my employment experience so far.

The best job I ever had was being a garbageman for three days.


Note: This is like the truck I rode on, only there were fewer children.

It was the first summer that I lived in Siloam Springs AR, the city where I went to school, and where I still live. I had just finished up my junior year in college, and I had wasted a month trying to get a drafting job that had seemed like a sure thing. Anyway, I swallowed my pride, and went to the temp agency to see if I could get on at the Dayspring greeting card company where my friends worked. It's basically a warehouse job.

So on a Tuesday morning I went to the temp agency. The lady there said "We can start you on Dayspring next Monday, but if you want to earn some money, we need someone at the City Sanitation Dept today."

"What would I do there?"

"Ride on the back of a truck and pick up trash, probably."

I almost said no, but the need to eat and pay rent was getting to me, so I said yes, and I went to the Sanitation building at about 1pm.

I got on the truck to go out picking up trash. The guy driving the truck asked me, in a voice you would expect from a trashman in a southern state, "You ever haul trash before?"

"Umm, no."

Then he said "Do you know how to pick up a bag?"

"Yes."

"That's about all there is to it."

To be Continued...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?